"Show me something pretty"

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Most Wanted: Books

With the weather dropping (slightly in Italy), there's nothing I want to do more than curl up with a good read and a giant cup of something warm. As impressive as Kindles, iPads and various other tablets are, there is something to be said for the real thing. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but it's nice to at least look at! Here's a list of books currently on my Amazon wishlist. When I get home, the first thing I'm buying is a new book (forget sushi and hamburgers).


As someone who eagerly awaits my monthly Vogue in the mail, this gorgeous coffee table book seems like it was made for me. All the iconic photographers are in here: Helmut Newton, Irving Penn, Richard Avedon, Bruce Weber, Steven Meisel, Annie Leibovitz, and Mario Testino. This would would definitely help ease the time in between issues and be the perfect Christmas gift for me.


This book by the Pulitzer Prize winning author of Middlesex and The Virgin Suicides has been getting major buzz. The epigraph alone is intriguing: "People would never fall in love if they hadn't heard love talked about." - La Rochefoucauld. With locales ranging from Cape Cod to India, this One Day-esque book is the type to easily hook me in.


I recently took an American Civil War course and am now obsessed with all things antebellum, secession, and Reconstruction related. This memoir deals with all three, told from the perspective of a wealthy Southern woman named Mary. Comprised of her diaries and letters, it provides an intimate account of turbulent time in our history.


I loved Melanie Dunea's first book about what famous chefs from all over the world would choose as their last meal. This time around, she interviewed and photographed Joel Robuchon, Tom Colicchio, and 48 others.


I devoured Ken Follett's two novels about life in Middle Ages England and can only imagine the saga he's weaved about World War One. He has a real knack for creating characters so believable that I was actually sad when the books ended!


With two new movies about Marilyn Monroe and one about Jackie Kennedy being released this year, it seems the public's fascination with these two iconic women is nowhere near waning. Fine by me! I can't get enough information about them so this book is right up my ally. Prompted by an episode of Mad Men in which a character claims that every woman is either a "Marilyn" or a "Jackie", the author decided to write a book filled with quotes, anecdotes, and lessons learned from the legends.


Ever since reading The Things They Carried in high school, I've loved learning more about the Vietnam War told from the eyes of those who fought in it. This book received accolade after accolade when it came out last year. It looks graphic and gritty for sure, but all the more riveting because of it.

Rebecca is one of my all time favorite books and I've never actually read another novel by its author. There's something so fun about reading a creepy thriller during this time of year when it gets dark earlier and earlier. The perfect atmosphere for things that go bump in the night...


I may be one of the only people left who hasn't read Tina Fey's memoir, but that's only piqued my interest more! From what I've heard, the book is just as laugh out loud funny as 30 Rock so I can't wait to get my hands on it.


I think it would be impossible for me to own too many cookbooks, and this one seems different from any other one I possess. It's comprised solely of recipes that chefs cook for their staff once all of their patrons have cleared out. The food looks simple, quick, and most importantly, delicious.



Last but not least, a true classic. Set in the glamorous French Riviera during the 1920s,
it is a tragic romance of which Ernest Hemingway said: "It's amazing how excellent much of it
is."

Hopefully you're now inspired to starting making a wishlist of your own. Now, which one
should I start with?

No comments:

Post a Comment