"Show me something pretty"

Friday, April 1, 2011

Foodie Friday: Ice Cream Fit For A Queen

First of all, shout out to Richard Blais for winning Top Chef All Stars last night -- I was really rooting for him (his Nutella and burnt marshmallow milkshake is definitely on my list of things to try at some point.)

On another note, today's post is about my favorite ice cream flavor: cinnamon! Not your average flavor, I know, but I can't get enough of the stuff. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that Table + Teaspoon shared her recipe for honey cinnamon ice cream. She includes cinnamon oil which is an ingredient I've never heard of but definitely plan on using since I love my ice cream to have a really cinnamon flavor. After reading Stephanie Schiff'sCleopatra: A Life she was inspired to find out more about the legendary queen. She learned that Cleopatra was obsessed with honey (she even bathed in it) and considered it to be liquid gold, something worthy of only the gods. Below is Table + Teaspoon's recipe. Enjoy!



Honey Cinnamon Ice Cream

Ingredients
1.5 cups half and half
1.5 cups whipping cream
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup honey
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cinnamon oil
Fresh blackberries for topping (optional)

Directions

Whisk together eggs, honey, cinnamon, cinnamon oil, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.

Pour cream into a large bowl with a sieve on top.

In a medium saucepan, bring half-and-half to a full simmer.

Slowly add 1/2 cup of the simmering cream mix to to the egg-honey mixture while whisking.

Return the egg and cream mixture to the saucepan.

Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens enough to coat a spoon.

Strain into a clean bowl and allow steam to escape before covering and chilling until cold (at least 3 hours and up to 1 day).

Process custard in ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions.

* recipe and images via Table + Teaspoon

1 comment:

  1. another recipe to add to my "need to cook list" for this summer! i think cinnamon ice cream in sun valley sounds heavenly...yes?

    ReplyDelete